Prof. Volker Gümmer is director of the Institute of Turbomachinery and Flight Propulsion at the Technical University of Munich. Research at the institute is focused on the aerodynamic optimisation of compressors and turbines, on technologies for aero engine propulsors, on the developemnt of integrated design concepts for gas turbine components and systems, as well as on innovation in heat exchangers for small and large gas turbine applications.
Volker Gümmer has a diploma degree in mechanical engineering from Braunschweig Technical University and a doctor degree from Munich Technical University. He started his career at the aero engine manufacturer BMW Rolls-Royce. The aerodynamic design and validation of a number of compressors was under his responsibility. He promoted to the “Chief of CFD Methods and Aerothermal Technology” and eventually was nominated “Associate Fellow for Compression Systems”. During his industrial career Volker Gümmer led the design and validation of compression components in a number of engine development programmes and in particluar introduced new technologies to products such as the 2500 Select, the BR725 und the TP400 engines. In 2014 he was honored with the Sir-Henry-Royce Innovations Award as well as the Trusted-to-Deliver-Excellence Award in Rolls-Royce.
1. Guinet, C., Streit, A., Kau, H.-P., Gümmer, V., 2014: ”Tip Gap Variation on a Transonic Rotor in the Presence of Tip Blowing”, Paper GT2014-25042, 59th ASME International Gas Turbine & Aero Engine Technical Congress, June 16-20, 2014, Düsseldorf, Germany.
2. Schrapp, H., Gümmer, V., 2011: ”Tip Blowing for Stability Enhancement of a Fixed Geometry High speed Compressor”, 9 th European Turbomachinery Conference, March 21-25, 2011, Istanbul, Turkey.
3. Clemen, C., Gümmer, V., Nerger, D., Saathoff, H., 2007: ”Investigation of Different Endwall Part-Clearance Configurations on a Low-Speed Compressor Cascade”, 7th European Conference on Turbomachinery Fluid Dynamics and Thermodynamics, March 5-9, 2007, Athens, Greece.
4. Gümmer, V., Goller, M., Swoboda, M., 2005:”Numerical Investigations of Endwall Boundary Layer Removal on Highly-Loaded Axial Compressor Blade Rows“, Paper GT2005-68699, 50th ASME International Gas Turbine & Aero Engine Technical Congress, June 6-9, 2005, Reno, Nevada, USA.
5. Gümmer, V., Wenger, U., Kau, H.-P., 2000: ”Using Sweep and Dihedral to Control Three-Dimensional Flow in Transonic Stators of Axial Compressors”, ASME Paper 2000-GT-491, 45th ASME International Gas Turbine & Aero Engine Technical Congress, June 6-9, 2000, Munich, Germany.