Ali Bawono is an experienced urban transport infrastructure specialist with a doctoral degree and 12 years of experience who possess practical knowledge in project and program management, technical and policy analysis, business model, and capacity building. Ali has authored a book on ECC for electrified roadways in megacities. He has published more than 20 publications, including first-tier journals and reputable proceedings. He holds patent and technology disclosures. He actively gives talks and seminars worldwide.
Ali holds Dr.-Ing. in Civil Engineering from the Technische Universität München (TUM) of Germany. He did a joint PhD at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) with a specialisation in material science. He holds M.Sc in Transportation Systems at TUM and B.Sc in Civil Engineering from the Institute of Technology Bandung (ITB), Indonesia.
Ali joined TUM Asia in 2021. Beforehand, he was working as a Research Fellow in TUMCREATE developing The Ultimate Public Transport System and the innovation of Bendable Concrete for roadway application projects in Singapore. Prior to his research work, Ali joined one of the biggest construction companies in Indonesia, PT. Jaya Konstruksi Tbk, as a Chief Engineer for the toll highway construction project. He was also working on policies and design guidelines for urban transport infrastructure at the Ministry of Public Works and Housing.
- Ph.D (joint) in Material Science, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, Singapore
- Dr.-Ing in Civil Engineering, Technische Universität München, München, Germany
- M.Sc in Transportation System, Technische Universität München, München, Germany
- B.Sc in Civil Engineering, Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB), Bandung, Indonesia
- Resilient and Sustainable Infrastructure
- Electrified roadway
- Roadway and railway design
- Functional performance of road infrastructure
- Transport and urban planning and development
- Construction material
- Building Information Modeling
- Project Management
- Multi criteria design analysis
- Renewable energy
- Energy harvesting infrastructure
PATENT AND TECHNOLOGY DISCLOSURE
- Connection Assembly, Levelling or Lifting System, and Method of Levelling a Slab. Ref 2018-264-02-PCT
- Polymer based mat (silicon) to create studded surface for precast concrete pavement slab to improve the interface bonding between the precast slab and its underneath layer. TD No. 2018-263.
- Durable precast engineered cementitious composites ultra-thin whitetopping (PECCUTW) system for fast road paving. TD No. TD/396/16.
BOOKS AND PUBLICATIONS (SELECTED)
- Bawono, A.A., NguyenDinh, N.,Thangaraj, J., Ertsey-Bayer, M., Simon, C., Lechner, B., Freudenstein, S., Yang, E.-H. Study of Tire–Pavement Noise Acoustic Performance in Resilient Road Pavement Made of Strain-Hardening Cementitious Composites. Acoustics 2023, 5, 57-71. https://doi.org/10.3390/acoustics5010004.
- Bawono, A.A. (2022). Engineered Cementitious Composites for Electrified Roadway. Springer.
- Azmi, N.H., Sophian, A., Bawono, A.A., Deep-learning-based detection of missing road lane markings using YOLOv5 algorithm. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering 1244 (1), 012021.
- Ashraf, A., Sophian, A., Shafie, A.A., Gunawan, T.S., Ismail, N.N., Bawono, A.A. (2022) Detection of Road Cracks Using Convolutional Neural Networks and Threshold Segmentation. Journal of Integrated and Advanced Engineering (JIAE) 2 (2), 123-134.
- Bawono, A.A., Lechner, B., Freudenstein, S., Yang, E-H. (2021). Multi Criteria Design Analysis on Surface Treatment Pavement Design Method for Concrete Pavement.
- Bawono, AA, Lechner, B, Yang, E-H. (2020) Bright and slip-proof engineered cementitious composites with visible light activated photo-catalysis property for pavement in tunnels. Cement and Concrete Composites, 104, 103387.
- Bawono, AA, Schumann CM, Lechner, B. (2020) Study of Building Information Modelling Implementation on Railway Infrastructure. Lecture Notes in Civil Engineering Series Springer.
- Bawono, A.A., Lechner., B, Yang, E-H. (2019) Skid resistance and surface water drainage performance of Engineered Cementitious Composites for pavement applications. Cement and Concrete Composites, 104, 103387.
- Bawono, A.A., Caliskan, E., Lechner, B., Yang, E-H. (2019). Multi criteria analysis for the functional performance of surface pavement. In Advances in Engineering Materials, Structures and Systems. Cape Town, South Africa.
- NguyenDinh, N., Bawono A.A., Yang, E-H, Qiu, J., and Lechner, B. (2018) “Preparations for the field trial of preacast ultra-thin whitetopping (PUTW) in Singapore,” in Proceedings of the 9th International DUT, Potsdam, Germany.
- NguyenDinh, N., Bawono, A.A., Yang, E-H., and Lechner, B (2018). “Using corundum to improve skid resistance of pavement made of engineered cementitious composite,” in TRB Annual Meeting, Washington D.C., USA, Jan. 2018.
- Bawono, A.A., Alhaz F.I., and Lechner, B. (2018) “The methodology of pavement analysis with 3D FEM model resulting by the actual tire pavement contact stresses,” in TRB Annual Meeting, Washington D.C., USA.
- Bawono, A.A., NguyenDinh, N., and Lechner, B. (2017) “Evaluation of highway pavement skid resistance performance made of engineered cementitious composite (ECC),” in BCRRA, CRC Press. Greece.
TALKS & PRESENTATION (SELECTED)
- Digital Construction to Accelerate Sustainable Construction. National Seminar Ministry of Public Works and Housing. Semarang. 6 – 7 Dec 2022.
- Planning Sustainable Electromobility. Invited Speaker International Conference on Sustainable Mobility and Safety. 29 – 30 Nov 2022.
- Engineered Cementitious Composites for Electrified Roadway. TU Munich Winter School. 7 – 11 Feb 2022.
- Digital Twin for Construction Engineering. Invited by Indonesia Energy & Engineering Forum, Jakarta. Nov 2021.
- Infrastructure 4.0. Invited talks for Construction Indonesia. Jakarta, Indonesia. Sep 2021.
- Smart Infrastructure for Smart City. Invited by Universitas Bakrie. Jakarta, Indonesia. Jul 2021.
- Smart Infrastructure & Electromobility. Invited by Universitas Negeri Surabaya. Surabaya. May 2021.
- Smart and Sustainability Infrastructure. Invited by Universitas Trisakti. Jakarta, Indonesia. Dec 2020.
- Building Information Modelling in Railway Infrastructure. Speaker at the ICCBE São Paulo Brazil. Sep 2020.
- Electrified Roadway – Speaker at the CREATE Seminar. Organizer: TUMCREATE, Singapore, Singapore. May 2020.
- Multi Criteria Decision Analysis for the Performance of Pavement – Speaker. Cape Town, South Africa. 2019.
- Innovation and Strategy in Go Green Action for SDGs. Panellist for Bidikmisi by UPNVJ Jakarta, Indonesia. Apr 2019.
- Sustainable Transportation. Invited talks for The World Indonesian Student Association. Dec 2015.
- Engineering Estimates Construction. Invited talks for The Badung Agency of Public Works, Bali, Indonesia. Jun 2013.
CERTIFIED TRAININGS & COURSES (SELECTED)
- Inclusive Digital Economies and Gender Playbook. ADB Institute. Nov 2022.
- Climate Change and Sovereign Risk. ADB Institute. Sep 2022.
- Climate-Smart Roads and Railways. MCDF. Aug 2022.
- Agile Project Management: Initiation, Planning, and Execution. Google. Nov 2021.
- Machine Learning and Deep Learning. MathWorks. Singapore, Singapore. Jan – Mar 2021.
- Digital Marketing: customer engagement, social media, planning. Columbia Business School. Oct – Dec 2017.
- Develop your Develop your Entrepreneurial Thinking. Technical University of Munich, Germany. 2017.
- Project Management Training. COMAT. Singapore, Singapore. Mar 2017.
- Microscopic and Macroscopic Transportation Modelling. TUM. Munich, Germany. Nov 2014.
- Building Information Modelling Course. AutoDesk. Jakarta, Indonesia. Jun – Sep 2013.
- Tunnelling Training Course. ITACET World Tunneling Congress. Geneva, Switzerland. May – Jun 2013.
- International Course of Long-Life Concrete Pavement. FHWA USA. Seattle, USA. Sep 2012.
- International Training FIDIC Management of Construction Claims. FIDIC. Jakarta, Indonesia. Jul 2011.