B.Sc. (Hons) and M.Sc. National University of Singapore (2000); Ph.D. Princeton University (2005); Senior Chemist: Air Products and Chemicals (2006-2008); Post-doctoral Associate: UC Berkeley and Kyoto University (2008-2012); Special Appointed Assistant Professor: Kyoto University and Tokyo University (2012-2015)
Pedagogical interests include employment of Socratic methods to teach physical/inorganic chemistry with focus on real-life applications. Application of technology to facilitate laboratory teaching and learning.
Research interest include physical properties (photocatalytic, electrical, magnetic and gas adsorption) of 2D solid-state inorganic compounds and metal organic frameworks. Structural elucidation of crystal structures via single crystal and powder X-ray diffraction.
RECOGNITIONS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- Dodds University Honorific Fellowship, Princeton University, 2004-2005.
- Senior Chemist, Air Products and Chemicals (2006-2008), commercialized one amine curing agent
- Assistant Mentor of Singapore Team for International Chemistry Olympiad 2016
- Foo, M. L.; Matsuda, R.; Hijikata, Y.; Krishna, R.; Sato, H.; Horike, S.; Hori, A.; Duan, J. G. ; Sato, Y.; Kubota, Y.; Takata, M.; Kitagawa, S. An Adsorbate Discriminatory Gate Effect in a Flexible Porous Coordination Polymer for Selective Adsorption of CO2 over C2H2. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2016, 138, 3022-3030.
- Foo, M. L.; Matsuda, R.; Kitagawa, S. Functional Hybrid Porous Coordination Polymers. Chem. Mater. 2014, 26, 310-322.
- Foo, M. L.; Horike, S.; Inubushi, Y.; Kitagawa, S. An Alkaline Earth I3O0 Porous Coordination Polymer: Ba2TMA(NO3)(DMF). Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2012, 51, 6107-6111.
- Schaak, R. E.; Klimczuk, T.; Foo, M. L.; Cava, R. J. Superconductivity phase diagram of NaxCoO2∙1.3H2O. Nature 2003, 424, 527-529.
- Foo, M. L.; Wang, Y. Y.; Watauchi, S.; Zandbergen, H. W.; He, T.; Cava, R. J.; Ong, N. P. Charge ordering, commensurability, and metallicity in the phase diagram of the layered NaxCoO2. Phys. Rev. Lett. 2004, 92, 247001.