Now Reading
A Rising Star in Industrial Chemistry – Lo Pang-Kai, MSc in Industrial Chemistry

View Gallery

Hi Pang -Kai, tell us more about yourself!

Hi! I’m an outgoing youth from Taiwan. You can also call me Banker. After the first year of coursework, I started my internship as a data analyst at Air Liquide Southeast Asia Cluster in Singapore. My hobby is playing basketball. We play basketball once a week in NUS with our Singaporean or Taiwanese friends, and this has become one of my best memories in Singapore. Also, I love adventuring, travelling and scuba diving. I have just become a certified advanced open water diver in Malaysia last November, and I can’t wait to explore more of this world. I believe that the world is so big that if you never try to explore it, you will never know how tiny you are.

What motivated you to come to Singapore and study a Master’s degree? 

I love to embrace challenges. I have always yearned to leave my comfort zone to pursue an international career. TUM Asia helps me to achieve exactly what I want!

“The TUM-NUS joint programme in Industrial Chemistry gives me not only a degree from recognised and reputable world-class universities, but also practical and novel knowledge that correlates strongly with industry experience. What really attracted me to the IC programme was the chance to start our career in both Germany and Singapore!”

-Lo Pang-Kai, MSc in Industrial Chemistry

Singapore is one of the leading countries in the Asia-Pacific region, and engineering graduates can have more opportunities in the fields of semiconductors, petrochemistry, or Fast-Moving Consumer Goods Industry, etc. Compared with other countries, I truly get more options in Singapore, and I’m really looking forward to demonstrating my capabilities in the Lion City!

How do you stay positive during this COVID-19 pandemic?

It’s hard to deny that COVID-19 has severely affected how the whole world operates. But, as an international student, we cannot concede defeat. If we think differently, we would realise that the Circuit Breaker also provides us with more time for ourselves. Besides attending the remote courses from TUM Asia, I have also used my free time to learn Python (a programming language) from online platforms as this skill would come in handy during my internship. Indeed, this is the best time for us to strive for excellence in what we do!

How have your classes and life been these days amidst the current situation (COVID-19)? 

There are still some interactions. Although lectures remain the same, what the professors bring to us during online lessons is still different. In our previous face-to-face classes, some professors would bring relevant experiments to class to help us to understand better what is being taught. Moreover, if we knew our professors well enough, we might even be able to seize the chance to talk about our Master theses or have general discussions about our learning trajectory. With no sign of the COVID-19 crisis easing, professors and students may no longer be as close as before.

What is one challenge faced by the world that you wish you could solve and how would you do it?

As a frequent traveller and an avid scuba diver, environmental issues are some of the challenges I care most about. When I just arrived in Singapore, I was really shocked that people could get more than three or even four plastic bags in a single transaction at the supermarket. Styrofoam packaging and straws are being used everywhere. This situation is a far cry from what I am used to in Taiwan. Being a potential chemical engineer, it is our responsibility to dedicate ourselves to eco-friendly material development and process optimisation to reduce chemical waste, air pollution, and other pollutants that may be emitted in the production process.

What do you hope to achieve after graduating from TUM Asia? 

For me, I hope to find a job as an engineer in a global enterprise in Singapore or Europe to continue gaining industrial experience and knowledge of the latest technology after graduating. After this, I hope to switch careers to a management or other positions that can help the company in its decision-making processes. This is also what I’ve been taught at TUM Asia and NUS: Try to do something grander beyond just engineering in our career!

Any encouraging message for your fellow students? 

I’d like to share a catchphrase: “Why Not?”, from my favorite basketball player, Russell Westbrook, a point guard for the Houston Rockets in NBA. His words and story helped me to understand that when I meet any obstacles or challenges in my career or future, I should always maintain a positive attitude and believe “Why am I not the chosen?” to face these!

View Comments (0)