Now Reading
New Chapter, New Prospects (Yuanyuan Yin)

View Gallery

As our Master of Science students embark on their first semester in the various Master programmes, our DIGEST team took the opportunity to speak to Yuanyuan to to find out more about how she has been adjusting to her studies at TUM Asia and living in Singapore.

Hi Yuanyuan, can you give our readers a short introduction about yourself?

Yuanyuan: Hello! I come from Beijing, China. I majored in Microelectronics, and am currently studying in the Integrated Circuit Design programme.

What attracted you to study at TUM Asia?

Yuanyuan: With some exposure to IC design during my undergraduate curriculum, I felt a strong connection to this area of interest. I wanted to prepare for a future career in IC Design and applying to a suitable graduate programme to fully equip myself in this discipline was my response to that interest. I found the programme offered at TUM Asia to meet my requirements. The courses were given by professors from two prestigious universities – NTU and TUM. The module schedules are sequential, which means that I only need to focus on one module during its two-week period before moving on to the next one. This special arrangement would help me to be totally focused on each module. The most attractive part about this Master degree is the one year of studying combined with an internship and dissertation; this distinguishes it from other programs, making it my first choice.

How has it been like adjusting to living away from home? 

Yuanyuan: Singapore impressed me with its clean streets and beautiful plants. As a Chinese, I find it very easy to adapt to life in Singapore as many people speak Mandarin Chinese. It is very convenient if you do not feel like cooking because there are food courts everywhere.

Has anything stood out to you so far from studying at TUM Asia?  

Yuanyuan: We just finished our first course in Digital IC Design. The class was intensive and required some background knowledge. By placing in some effort, it goes a long way in terms of knowledge gained. Our professors are also very kind and patient and you can always ask them if you have any questions

“I wanted to prepare for a future career in IC Design and applying to a suitable graduate programme to fully equip myself in this discipline was my response to that interest. I found the programme offered at TUM Asia to meet my requirements. The courses were given by professors from two prestigious universities – NTU and TUM.”

What do you hope to learn while being in this Master’s programme? 

See Also

Yuanyuan: I hope to get some exposure to different fields in IC design and find a specific field that I am interested in. I would also like to get both theoretical knowledge and practice experience which are enough for me to start a career in the IC design field.

What is one area of Engineering that you hope to make an impact in next time?

Yuanyuan Yin is from the TUM-NTU Master of Science in Integrated Circuit Design. More information about the programme >>

This interview was published in the DIGEST Sept – Dec 2019 issue >>

View Comments (0)