Now Reading
Life of a TUM student (Prabu)

Life of a TUM student (Prabu)

The DIGEST Team catches up with Prabu, a second year Bachelor’s student, who shares how he copes with managing his studies and taking on the role of the President of the Student Management Committee (SMC) at the same time.

Hi Prabu, can you give us a short introduction about yourself?

Prabu: I’m Prabu, currently completing the second year of studies in the Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering programme at TUM Asia. I am also the president of the Student Management Committee, also known as TUM-SMC. Outside of school, I work as a paramedic and a debate coach.

What do you particularly enjoy about university life in TUM Asia?

Prabu: I enjoy being taught by dedicated lecturers who are willing to discuss and equip us with knowledge beyond what the syllabus offers. Not only that, learning about German culture and the opportunity to head to Munich also motivates me.

What are some challenges you have faced as a TUM student, and how did you overcome them?

Prabu: One of the challenges I faced in TUM is the pace and the depth of content that you learn in a short period of time. The university adopts a block teaching method whereby you study one module at one time and take an examination every three weeks or so. For me, what helped me to adapt to this system is to be diligent in making summary notes at the end of lessons and to study in groups with your classmates. I realized that it is always easier when you have a team to study together with.

“I enjoy being taught by dedicated lecturers who are willing to discuss and equip us with knowledge beyond what the syllabus offers.”

Since joining the SIT-TUM Family, what are some interesting events you have been involved in outside of curriculum?

Prabu: I participated in the cosmic bowling activity organized by the previous SMC, which is a good breather for all students going through hectic schedules. I’m currently working with SIT to start a debate club. I am also moderating the upcoming Dialogue with SITizens.

How did your involvement in the SMC first begin?

Prabu: I was first involved with the SMC when I signed up to be part of the Orientation committee to run the TUM Orientation 2018. It allowed me to network with a lot of TUM students across courses and batches.

How do you find the balance between your academics, leading the SMC, and the other commitments you have outside school?

Prabu: Time management is important but my classmates, friends and my reliable SMC exco members all play a big role in helping me find this balance. Without all their support, I will not be where I am now.

What are some SMC events that are coming up that our students can look forward to?

Prabu: The most recent event we organized was the TUM Avengers: Endgame Movie Night on 26 April 2019. Some other events that we are currently planning include TUM Trivia Night, Chill-Out and the next round of TUM Cosmic Bowling.

See Also

What do you hope to achieve by the end of your studies here in TUM Asia?

Prabu: I hope to graduate with the skills and knowledge the industry demands and a great network of friends.

What advice would you give to your juniors?

Prabu: TUM is a very prestigious university which offers courses that meet the needs of the industry. The journey might test your perseverance as it is tough and fast paced, but it will be worthwhile journey. “Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.’’ Work together with your friends and the process will be so much easier!

Prabu studied in the Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering with the Technical University of Munich. He studied in the Singapore branch campus (TUM Asia) and spent five months in Munich, Germany to complete his lab courses and thesis at the home campus of the university. 

To read the full interview with Prabu, it was first published in our DIGEST newsletter (May 2019). View the e-newsletter here >>

TUM Asia administrates the TUM Bachelor degrees together with the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). GCE ‘A’ Levels, Polytechnic Diploma and international qualification holders may apply for the TUM Bachelor degrees. Find out more about the programmes offered >>

In 2020, the partnership with SIT was further strengthened when the existing Bachelor degrees were evolved into joint SIT-TUM programmes. Interested students may apply for the TUM Bachelor programmes from January to March every year.

Applications are accepted at our partner university’s admission site: https://admission.singaporetech.edu.sg

View Comments (0)