Now Reading
Alumni Feature (Electrical Engineering): Sunny Wang

View Gallery

Upon graduating from the Bachelor of Science programme in Electrical Engineering and Information Technology, Sunny made a bold decision to pursue her Master’s degree in Germany. The Verbinden team speaks with her to learn more about her experience so far.

Hi Sunny, can you tell us more about yourself? 

Sunny: You can call me by my nickname, Sunny, or Jia Jun. I am from China and came to Singapore for my Diploma studies. I majored in Biomedical Engineering at Ngee Ann Polytechnic before moving on to study Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering and Information Technology at TUM Asia. At the moment, I’m pursuing my Master’s degree in Technical University of Munich, Germany, majoring in Communication Engineering.

How did you choose to major in Engineering?

Sunny: My interest in Engineering started way back during my Polytechnic days. Though I had majored in Biomedical Engineering, I was open to different options when deciding on my next step for further studies. I read about the EEIT program on TUM Asia’s website and found the modules and syllabus rather appealing. Eventually, I decided to pick up the challenge and go for it.

WHAT I LOVE ABOUT TUM ASIA WAS THE UNITY WE HAD AS A CLASS. WE OFTEN STUDY TOGETHER AND TRY OUR BEST TO SUPPORT ONE ANOTHER, BE IT FOR ACADEMICS OR OUR OWN PERSONAL LIVES.“ 

Was there one thing that you enjoyed about studying at TUM Asia?

Sunny: What I loved was the unity we had as a class. We often study together and try our best to support one another, be it for academics or our own personal lives. During the examination period, we would freely share our knowledge with each other. I find that this cohesive environment was what made the journey so much easier and more fun. These are the moments I cherish the most in TUM Asia.

How did you decide to pursue your Master’s degree in Germany? 

Sunny: Coming to Munich for my Master studies was a big decision for me especially after living in Singapore for more than 6 years. At first, the thought of doing so had never crossed my mind. However, spending a semester in Munich for my Bachelor Thesis had given me fresh perspectives on living abroad. I wanted to gain more experiences in Europe and the idea of studying in TUM seems fitting to do so. I am glad I made this decision because I am truly enjoying my time here so far.

Tell us more about your experience as a Master student of TUM.

Sunny: Here, I get to have the freedom to manage my own time and studies. In my Masters, there are a variety of interdisciplinary modules to choose from and we select our modules for each semester. Besides that, living in Munich is also relaxing and easygoing. The lifestyle here is suitable for people who enjoy a laid back and slow-paced lifestyle.

What are your plans after your studies in Munich?

Sunny: My plan after my studies in Munich is most probably to return to Singapore to work. As much as I love the life here in Munich or Europe, I still very much look forward to be back in Singapore again!

As TUM Asia turns 15 this year, share your thoughts with us! 

Sunny: I want to scream my love to TUM Asia: I LOVE YOU! You have enriched my experiences and made me believe that I have more strength than I have previously known. I’m forever honoured to be an alumnus of TUM Asia.

I WANTED TO GAIN MORE EXPERIENCES IN EUROPE (AFTER COMPLETING MY BACHELOR THESIS IN MUNICH, GERMANY) AND THE IDEA OF STUDYING MY MASTERS IN TUM SEEMS FITTING TO DO SO. I AM GLAD I MADE THIS DECISION BECAUSE I AM TRULY ENJOYING MY TIME HERE SO FAR.

– Sunny Wang studied in the Bachelor of Science degree in the field of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology with the Technical University of Munich. She studied in the Singapore branch campus (TUM Asia) and spent three months in Munich, Germany to complete her thesis at the home campus of the university. 

To read the full interview with Sunny, it was first published in our Verbinden Alumni Newsletter (Spring 2018). View the e-newsletter here >> TUM Asia administrates the TUM Bachelor degrees together with the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). GCE ‘A’ Levels, Polytechnic Diploma and international qualification holders may apply for the TUM Bachelor degrees. Find out more about the programmes offered >>

Interested students may apply for the TUM Bachelor of Science programmes from January to March each year by selecting the TUM Bachelor programmes: www.tum-asia.edu.sg/adm

View Comments (0)